· 4 tbsp. olive oil, divided
· ½ large yellow onion, chopped
· ½ large red bell pepper, chopped
· 2 (14.75oz.) cans canned salmon
· 2 large raw eggs
· 1 small lemon, juiced and zested w/seeds discarded (2 tbsp. lemon juice)
· 1 cup panko bread crumbs
· 1 tbsp. garlic powder
· 2 tbsp. old bay seasoning (more to taste)
· Sea salt (to taste)
· Black pepper (to taste)
· 1 pack thick cut bacon
· ½ brown sugar
· ½ cup apple cider vinegar
· 1 tbsp. sugar
· 1 ½ tbsp. sea salt
· Crushed red pepper (to taste)
· 1 large red onion, sliced thin
Honey Lime Vinaigrette
· ¼ cup lime juice
· 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
· 3 tbsp. honey
· 1 tsp. garlic powder
· 1 tsp. sea salt
· ½ tsp. black pepper
· ½ tsp. cumin
· ½ cup olive oil
Additional Salad Ingredients
· 3 Romaine lettuce stalks, chopped
· 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half top to bottom
· 2 avocado, pitted and sliced
· 4 large eggs, prepared in your preference (boiled, scrambled, fried, poached)
· Gorgonzola cheese (to taste)
· In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil on medium high heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Sauté until vegetables become tender, 2 – 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
· Place salmon in a large bowl. Remove any remaining skin or bones.
· Add all ingredients except the remaining olive oil to the salmon. Mix well. Form salmon into 8 or more croquettes (like a small hamburger or slider patty). Let croquettes sit for 10 minutes before cooking
· In a large skillet, heat remaining olive oil on medium heat. Once the oil is hot (not smoking), add croquettes. Cook until golden brown on each side, 5 – 7 minutes. Don’t over crowd the skillet. Cook in batches with more oil if necessary. Drain croquettes on a paper towel and set aside.
· Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
· Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place and oven-safe wire rack on each. Place bacon on wire rack and sprinkle liberally with sugar. Bake until bacon is cooked through and sugar is melted, 20 – 25 minutes. May take less time for thinner cuts of bacon. Let bacon cool then crumble into bacon bits and set aside.
· In a small pot on medium high heat, bring all ingredients except onion to a boil.
· Place onions in a sealable bowl or mason jar. Pour boiled liquid mixture over onions and seal. Let onions set out at room temperature for 30 minutes then set aside. Onions will become soft and pink once pickled. Refrigerate after 30 minutes at room temperature.
Honey Lime Vinaigrette
· In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients adding olive oil last. Set aside.
· Top Romaine lettuce with 2 salmon croquettes, candied bacon, picked onions, tomatoes, avocado slices, prepared egg of your choice, and gorgonzola cheese. Serve.
Serving Size - 4