· 1 ½ cups of chicken broth
· 1 cup of rice (jasmine or basmati)
· 2 tablespoons of olive oil
· ½ medium yellow onion, diced
· ½ medium red bell pepper, diced
· 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
· 2 celery stalks, diced
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 1 lb of ground chorizo
· 2 tbsp of non-salted butter
· Cajun seasoning
· Garlic & herb seasoning
· Cayenne pepper (optional)
· Frying Oil (Peanut, Canola, Vegetable)
· 1 cup of corn meal
· 2 eggs, whisked
· 1 lb of shrimp
· ¾ cups of Italian parsley
· In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil on medium high heat. Add rice.
· Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 18-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat.
· In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat olive oil on medium high heat.
· Add onion and peppers. Sauté until soft, 3-5 minutes.
· Mix in celery and garlic. Sauté for an additional 2 minutes. (Stir regularly to keep vegetables from over charring)
· Add in chorizo. Cook until browned through, 5-7 minutes. Crumble by stirring as it cooks. Mix well with vegetables.
· Reduce heat to medium. Mix rice into pork mixture. Add butter then season to taste with Cajun seasoning and garlic & herb. (Go lite on seasoning as pork has plenty of natural sodium). Cook until all ingredients are well blended, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
· In a deep fryer or Dutch oven, heat 3 inches of frying oil to 350 degrees or medium high heat.
· Season shrimp and corn meal to taste with Cajun seasoning and garlic & herb seasoning. Add cayenne pepper for additional spice if desired.
· Dredge shrimp, tails excluded, into the egg mixture then into the cornmeal mixture. Repeat until all shrimp are battered.
· Fry shrimp in small batches in frying oil until cooked through, 1 – 2 minutes. Allow shrimp to rest on paper towels immediately after frying. Repeat until all shrimp are fried.
· Plate rice mixture with shrimp on top. Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve.