General Tso Chicken & Waffles
· 1 ½ cups of cake flour
· 1 tbsp. of brown sugar
· 1 tbsp. of white sugar
· 1 tbsp. of baking powder
· 1 tsp. of salt
· 2 large eggs, beaten
· 1 ¾ cups of vanilla almond milk
· ¾ cups of butter, melted
· 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
· Cooking spray
· 4-5 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed into 1 inch chunks
· 1 cup of cornstarch
· 1 tsp. of ground ginger
· 1 tsp. of black pepper
· ¼ cups of low sodium soy sauce
· 1 egg, beaten
· 3 cups of canola or peanut oil
· 2 tsp. of olive oil
· 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped into 1 inch chunks
· 1 medium yellow pepper, chopped into 1 inch chunks
· 2 tbsp. of low sodium soy sauce
· 1 tbsp. of seasoned rice vinegar
· 1 tsp. of sherry vinegar
· 4 tbsp. of chicken stock
· 3 tbsp. of water
· 1tbsp. of tomato paste
· 1 tsp. of garlic, minced
· ½ tsp. of corn starch
· 2 tbsp. of sesame seeds, toasted
· In a large mixing bowl, mix together all ingredients except for cooking spray. Mix well.
· In a waffle iron, heat cooking spray. Add waffle batter. Per waffle iron instructions, cook until waffle iron signals that waffles are done. Set waffles aside.
· Heat canola oil in large skillet on medium high heat.
· In a separate large bowl, mix together cornstarch, ginger, and pepper. Add in soy sauce and eggs. Mix well. Mixture will form a thick paste.
· Add chicken. Coat chicken in cornstarch paste well.
· Add chicken to oil. Fry until cooked through and crispy, 8-10 minutes. Be sure to not overcrowd the skillet. Drain. Set aside.
· In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium high heat.
· Sautee red and yellow peppers until tender, 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
· In a medium saucepan on medium heat, simmer all sauce ingredients except sesame seeds. Lit simmer for 8-10 minutes. Add sesame seeds.
· Mix cooked chicken and sauce into skillet with mixed peppers.
· Place chicken mixture over waffle. Serve.