Crawfish Dressing Hush Puppies
· 1 tbsp. olive oil
· ½ lb. crawfish tails, rinsed, drained, & chopped
· Cajun seasoning (to taste)
· 1 tsp. lemon juice
· 1 cup vegetable or peanut oil (frying oil)
· 2 cups cold dressing left overs
· 1 cup all purpose flower
· 1 tbsp. paprika
· 2 eggs, beaten
· 3 tbsp. water
· 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
· In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium high heat.
· Add crawfish tails and Cajun seasoning. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes then add lemon juice. Cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat.
· In a Dutch oven or large (deep) skillet, heat frying oil on medium high heat.
· Mix crawfish tails into the leftover dressing. Mix well.
· Take 2 tbsp. of dressing and crawfish mixture and form into a ball. Repeat until all of the mixture has been used. Dressing and crawfish balls should look like meatballs once done. Set aside.
· Mix flour and paprika in a medium bowl. Mix eggs and water in a separate bowl. Place breadcrumbs in another separate medium bowl.
· Dredge stuffing and crawfish balls in flour, dip in egg mixture, then coat with breadcrumbs. Repeat until all balls are coated.
· Fry each ball until golden brown, 2 minutes. (Do not overcrowd the pan. There should 2 -3 rotations of frying). Drain on paper towel. Serve.