Holiday Leftovers : Nacho Turkey Tostones
· 1 cup vegetable or peanut oil
· 3 unripe plantains, peeled & cut into 1 inch cubes
· Salt (to taste)
· Black pepper (to taste)
· 2 tbsp. olive oil
· 1 medium yellow onion, sliced `
· 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
· 2 cups left over turkey, de-boned & shredded
· taco seasoning (to taste)
· 2 cups Mexican shredded cheese
· Paper towels
· Wax paper
· In a Dutch oven or large (deep) skillet, heat oil on medium high heat.
· Once oil is hot, fry plantains until light brown, 2 – 3 minutes. Drain on paper towel. (Do not overcrowd the pan. There should 2 -3 rotations of frying).
· While still warm, place fried plantains between 2 sheets of wax paper and smash them. Place fried plantains back in oil. Fry until golden brown, 1 – 2 minutes. Drain on paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. Plantains should resemble thick tortillas once done. Set aside.
· Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
· In a separate large skillet, heat olive oil on medium high heat.
· Add sliced onions and bell pepper. Cook until tender, 2 – 3 minutes.
· Mix in shredded left over turkey and taco seasoning. Cook 3 – 4 minutes, mixing well. Remove from heat.
· On an oven-safe serving platter, assemble fried plantains across the bottom. Layer onion, pepper, and turkey mixture on top. Spread cheese over turkey mixture.
· Bake until cheese is melted, 2 – 3 minutes. Serve.