· 2 lbs. jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, & tail off
· ¼ cup mild wet jerk seasoning (ex. Walkerswood or Grace brands)
· 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
· ½ cup water
· ½ medium red onion, sliced
· 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
· 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
· ½ grape tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
· 3 cups water
· 2 chicken bullion cubes
· 1 cup instant grits
· ½ cup half & half
· 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
· 1 tbsp. garlic powder
· 1 tbsp. onion powder
· 1 tbsp. paprika
· Salt (to taste)
· Black pepper (to taste)
· ½ cup shredded cheese of choice
· Queso fresco, crumbled (garnish)
· In a large bowl, mix shrimp with wet jerk seasoning. Be sure to coat shrimp well in marinade. Marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
· In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil on medium high heat. Add shrimp.
· Sear shrimp for 1 minute on each side. Do this in batches if there are too many shrimp to lay flat at once.
· With all shrimp in the skillet, add water. Make sure to add any leftover marinade drippings in with the water. Cover and bring to a simmer, 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
· In a large skillet, heat remaining tbsp. olive oil on medium high heat. Add onions and bell peppers. Cook until tender, 2 – 3 minutes.
· Mix in tomatoes and cook for 1 additional minute. Remove from heat.
· In a large pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil on medium high heat. Once boiling, add bullion cubes. Let bullion dissolve.
· Reduce heat to medium. Mix in grits and whisk regularly until smooth, 5 – 7 minutes. Mix in half & half, butter, and seasonings then continue to whisk, 2 – 3 minutes.
· Remove from heat. Stir in cheese. Set aside.
· In a serving bowl, spoon in grits. Top that with peppers and onions mixture. Top that with jerk shrimp. Garnish with queso fresco crumbles. Serve.