· 3 cups water
· 2 chicken bullion cubes
· 1 cup instant grits
· 1 cup heavy whipping cream
· ½ cups smoked gouda, shredded
· Salt (to taste)
· Black pepper (to taste)
· 1 tbsp. granulated garlic
· 3 eggs, beaten
· 2 cups panko bread crumbs
· 48 oz. jar marinara sauce
· 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
· crushed red pepper flacks (to taste)
· 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
· 2 tbsp. dark brown sugar
· Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
· In a large pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil on medium high heat. Once boiling, add bullion cubes. Let bullion dissolve.
· Reduce heat to medium. Mix in grits and stir regularly until smooth, 5 – 7 minutes. Add heavy cream and continue to stir, 2 – 3 minutes.
· Remove from heat. Mix in cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
· Transfer grits into a large bowl. Refrigerate for a minimum of 45 minutes. Grits should stiffen while refrigerating.
· Remove grits from refrigerator and form into patties. Patties should look like hamburgers or hockey pucks.
· Place beaten eggs in a medium bowl and pour breadcrumbs in another medium bowl. Dredge grit cakes in egg mixture then coat in breadcrumbs. Place breadcrumb covered grit cakes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
· Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
· In a medium saucepan, mix marinara sauce, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, and brown sugar on medium heat. Let simmer for 5-7 minutes.
· In a wide soup bowl, ladle in marinara sauce. Place a girt cake on top. Serve.