· 1 cup brown rice
· 2 ½ cups water or broth
· Sea salt (to taste)
· 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
· 1 lb. hot (spicy) ground turkey sausage
· 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
· ½ cup shredded carrots
· 1 head of cabbage, sliced (like slaw)
· 2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce or liquid aminos (more to taste)
· 1 tbsp. garlic chili sauce (more to taste)
· Sesame seeds (for garnish)
· Scallions, chopped (for garnish)
· In a large uncovered pot, bring rice, water, salt, and 1tbsp. of olive oil to a simmer on medium high heat.
· Reduce heat to medium and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes without lifting the lid. Fluff rice with fork. Set aside.
· In a large skillet, heat remaining tbsp. of olive oil on medium high heat. Add ground sausage. Brown and crumble until cooked through, 5 – 7 minutes.
· Mix in onions and carrots. Cook until tender, 2 – 3 minutes.
· Mix in cabbage. Stirring occasionally, cook until wilted into sausage mixture, 5 – 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.
· Season with soy sauce and chili garlic sauce. Mix well, 2 – 3 minutes. Set aside.
· Plate it! In a pasta bowl, add brown rice topped with eggroll mixture. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions to taste. Serve.
Serving Size – 4
Prep Time – 7 minutes
Cook Time – 1 Hour & 5 minutes
· To shorten cooking time, use a different type of rice and follow those cooking instructions. Brown Rice takes much longer than many other types. Even consider microwaveable rice if you want to speed up the cooking time.
· This recipe works with ground pork as well. If you do not like too much spice, go with mild or regular sausage,
· This recipe was curated with low-sodium dietary needs in mind. If that is not a concern of yours, don’t shy away from the soy sauce and chili garlic sauce.
This recipe reheats really well. It is perfect for meal prep.